Contemporary Dance, it’s the latest way to Get Fit at James & Alex Dance Studio!
Dubai: Most of us are nowhere near active enough on a regular basis and fail to do half the exercise that we really should be doing in order to be optimally healthy. The human body is simply not designed to be still for long periods of time unless we’re sleeping, and yet we spend a huge proportion of our time either sitting at a desk at work or collapsed onto the couch at home. It’s no wonder that obesity is rife and so many of us have complaints of back pain!
Unfortunately, it’s not easy for us to change the amount of time we spend sitting down at work without a drastic career switch. That means that the best way we can become more active and start reaping the many benefits that come with that, is for us to engage in more activities outside of work when we get home.
And for many reasons, dance is one of the very best options. Not only is dance a lot of fun, as well as being a great skill that will come in handy whenever you’re at a party of gathering, but it’s also incredibly good for your health! James & Alex Dance Studio are here to help us all get fit and healthy, and unleash our creative minds!
Contemporary dance evolved by infusing elements of several genres and has been referred to as the ‘dance of the day’. This means creating visual representations of life, through artistic interpretation.
It has evolved as a massively popular style featuring in the latest music videos and renowned international dance competitions like ‘So You Think You Can Dance’.
The rebellious form of dance has limitless possibilities where creativity comes first and traditional rules are often broken. It offers a sense of freedom connecting the mind and body through movement.
Contemporary dance is a form of dance which incorporates elements from various styles of dance, namely classical, modern and jazz. It incorporates some ballet technique, floor work, improvisation and characteristics of modern dance.
- Weight Loss! If you’re looking for a way to lose weight that’s fun and that you’re likely to actually stick to, then contemporary dance is a fantastic option.
- Muscle Tone. Develop extra strength and muscle tone, Contemporary dance will help to flatten stomachs, remove ‘bingo wings’ and create more toned legs and buttocks.
- Contemporary dance will impact on your natural posture throughout the day leading to a more balanced and healthy musculature as well as eliminating back pain and even improving breathing.
- By increasing your flexibility you will not only increase your athletic performance, but also avoid a range of injuries. For those interested in building muscle at the gym, increased flexibility can lead to improved range of motion through the exercises and thus fuller-looking muscles.
- Many dance moves involve balancing on one foot, going onto tip toes, or otherwise holding positions that require a lot of balance. By practicing these moves you will build up strength in your smaller supporting muscles, as well as throughout your core and as such you’ll get better at maintaining your balance at all times.
- Self-expression! Activate your creative impulse!
- Learn technique, floor work, the use of gravity and transitions
- Understand how to utilise space and energy
- Develop versatility and improvisation. Connect with your emotions and stretch your mind in a creative environment
- It’s good for the soul!
Contemporary dance is suitable for people of all abilities and ages and focuses on strength training and flexibility.
Located in the heart of Dubai Media City, James & Alex Dance Studios are open Sunday to Wednesday between 2pm and 10pm and classes are priced at 65 AED for one hour. For more information and the latest class schedule, please visit www.jamesandalex.com or call +971 (0)4 4470773.
– ENDS –
About James & Alex Dance Studios
James & Alex Dance Studios are located in the heart of Dubai Media City (Concord Tower), offering an excellent range of classes for adults and children. They cover a wide spectrum of dance styles, with some of the highest quality teaching and choreographic talent in the region. Founded in 2012, the dance studios are the vision of two of Dubai’s most successful salsa dancers, James Castro and Alex de Smet. After establishing one of the largest salsa followings in Dubai, they decided to open their own venue dedicated purely to dance. The result is an incredible 4000 sq. ft. venue, boasting three studios with private and group classes in Salsa, Tango, Ballroom, Bachata, Ballroom, Zumba, Tap, Burlesque, Belly Dance, Ballet, Contemporary and Hip-Hop. James & Alex also host regular practice parties and social events across town and their venue is available for private hire. The studios are easily accessible by tram (Palm Jumeirah Station) and are open Saturday to Wednesday 2pm to 10pm and Saturday 10am to 5pm. For more information and the latest class schedule, please visit www.jamesandalex.com or follow them on Facebook www.facebook.com/jamesandalex.
For class bookings or studio rental enquiries, please contact:
James and Alex Dance Studios
T: +971 (0)4 4470773