Marks & Spencer raises funds for Breast Cancer
~ Employees and customers donate AED 70,000 to support the noble cause~
Dubai: Marks & Spencer wrapped up its annual breast cancer awareness campaign today, held during the month of October in association with Pink Caravan, a Pan UAE breast cancer awareness initiative launched in 2011 by Friends of Cancer Patients (FOCP), a UAE charitable organisation.
The campaign committed to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer research and care included numerous events targeting employees and customers. It is part of Marks & Spencer’ Plan A initiative which was launched internationally in January 2007 to promote wellness in the society and help people in leading a healthier lifestyle.
The fund raising initiative received an overwhelming response from customers and employees, enabling Marks & Spencer to raise an amount of AED 70,000.
During this awareness drive, Marks & Spencer deployed medical staff for three consecutive days at selected Dubai and Abu Dhabi stores. The medical expert answered queries, offered guidance on how to conduct the monthly self-examinations and distributed educational pamphlets to customers. This activity was aimed at effectively spreading the message of early detection amongst thousands of UAE residents.
The excitement and enthusiasm quickly extended to include the M&S men senior officials who volunteered to shave their heads as the women coloured their hair pink for the day.
Ms. Sally Wakley, Store Development Manager, Marks & Spencer Al-Futtaim and the ambassador of M&S Plan A initiative said, “We feel a sense of responsibility to support the good cause and M&S has been active in hosting Breast Cancer Awareness programmes globally. The enthusiasm shown by our customers and employees is laudable and we hope the funds raised will make a difference to the lives of cancer patients and promote wellness in the society at large.”
On shaving his head for the occasion, Mark Senior, Marks & Spencer, Head of Operations said, “It’s for a good cause. My head shave gesture is prompted to support the enduring strength of cancer patients and convey the message that physical features do not define one’s personality.
Through this campaign, Marks & Spencer would like to encourage families in the UAE to proactively take charge of their health”, Mr. Senior added.
Article supplied by:
Mohini Parmar Mohini.firstname.lastname@example.org
About Marks & Spencer Al-Futtaim
- A member of the Al-Futtaim Group of companies since 1998, the Marks & Spencer Al-Futtaim franchise partnership boasts 23 stores located in the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait, Oman, Jordan and Qatar.
- The stores offer an extensive range of stylish, high quality clothing products for the whole family, across each category – womenswear, lingerie, menswear and kidswear. M&S also offers beauty and home products, as well as outstanding quality food.
- M&S stores are present in:
UAE: Dubai Festival City, Mall of the Emirates Dubai, Deira City Centre, Mirdif City Centre Dubai, The Dubai Mall, Wafi City Mall Dubai, Al Ghurair Mall; Abu Dhabi- Marina Mall, Fetouh Al Khair Mall, Dalma Mall; Al Ain- Bawadi Mall; RAK-Al Manar Mall.
Qatar: Landmark Mall, Villaggio Mall;
Kuwait: 360° MALL, Marina Plaza;
Bahrain- Bahrain City Centre; Seef Mall
Oman: Muscat City Centre;
Egypt: Dandy Mall, City Stars, Alexandria City Centre;
Jordan: Taj Mall.
- In addition to this impressive list, Dubai Festival City, one of the M&S’s largest international store features the new-look format with exciting fashion and food displays to make the store more inviting, inspiring and easier to shop
- For more information, please visit www.marksandspencer.ae
About Marks & Spencer
- Marks & Spencer is one of the UK’s leading retailers. M&S sells high quality, great value clothing and home products as well as outstanding quality food. 20 million customers visit its stores each week and has 81,000 employees across the UK and 51 territories globally.
- Marks & Spencer was founded over 128 years ago and currently has over 760 UK stores and over 410 international stores across Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
For more information please visit www.corporate.marksandspencer.com